Pages

Thursday, December 11, 2014

12/10/14

Missed Connection:

It was about 11:30 on Wednesday.  I had just finished a long day of work and was grabbing a drink with a friend as I am wont to do.  Soon after we ordered our pitcher of beer, you came back from what I assume was either a cigarette break, or an appointment with a wedding planner after spotting us.  I have to imagine it was some type of dual wedding that you had in mind, as my friend and I pretty closely resemble each other and any other woman that has long dark hair and bangs these days.  As I poured my glass from the pitcher, I heard you mumble something in our direction.  My friend responded, but my shyness got the best of me and I chose to conceal my burning desire for your Irish accent with apparent apathy.  She introduced herself and then turned to me.  You looked at me, waiting for my own introduction and I finally acquiesced; for it is not every man that can break through my icy exterior to learn my name.  When I nervously (do not mistake nerves for indifference!) told you, you looked at me like I had just asked you to solve a long division problem in your head.  I pictured your brain like a Rubik's Cube, looking for the combination to unlock the correct reply.  You paused for a moment, and then, finally: "Is that a boy's name???  ...Or a girl's?"  If I at all appeared nonplussed and disconcerted, it was only because it was in that moment I knew I loved you.  That we were meant to be.  And that your requited love for me was so deep, you wouldn't let something as trivial as my ambiguous gender stand in the way.  I wanted to cry out, to tell you I have been waiting for you for thirty long years!  To tell you that I will be everything you have ever wanted in a wife (and/or husband, if that's what you want!)...but instead, I left.  And so my intended, here I am, ready to move forward with this relationship if you are.  But as for your question?  There is really no way of knowing.

Sincerely,

Morgan

No comments:

Post a Comment