Pages

Sunday, February 22, 2015

1/20/15

Missed Connection:


You know those moments you see someone from across the room and you instantly know there is going to be something between you?  Me neither.  But this was pretty close to that.  It was a Tuesday night.  I had ordered my drink and was chatting with my friends when a lull in the conversation caused me to turn my head…toward you.  You had just come back from the bathroom.  How had I not seen you earlier??  Your leather jacket and slicked back hair that screamed "I really don't want to be from Orange County, but I really, really am" were a powerful aphrodisiac.  You walked towards the bar; you wanted a drink.  It was then that we made eye contact.  Everyone froze.  Spotlights enveloped us both.  The music stopped playing whatever crappy bar music was on and Cyndi Lauper's "Time After Time" seeped through the speakers like fog.  ...There's a solid chance that didn't actually happen, but I prefer to keep my memory of you pristine.  I turned away almost as quickly as I had met your gaze. Partly because I hate when you accidentally look at someone you didn't mean to, but mostly because I knew that you were soon to be mine forever.  Was I ready for this?  Did I have what it takes to be someone's forever??  As I pondered these questions, you turned to your friend and loudly said (no doubt to throw me off!  I love it when boys play hard to get!) "Dude…there are like, no cute chicks here."  My heart momentarily shattered.  But it was then I realized that to you, I was not a "chick;" oh no.  I was far more than that!  I was a woman who was about to become your wife, and maybe you needed a minute to digest that.  And so in the moment I thought my best play was to play it cool, laugh at your little joke and never look back.  Because I knew that when I turned around again you would be there on bended knee, having made an engagement ring out of the cherry stem from your drink.  But when I turned around, you were gone.  I know you are trying to add to the suspense, but darling I am ready!  Let me know when you want to get this thing started.

Sincerely,

Not A Cute Chick




No comments:

Post a Comment